Internships & Volunteering
Make an impact by doing meaningful work.
Help us showing the way to a responsible and sustainable traveling!
Photo © eberhard grossgasteiger
WHY INTERNSHIPS AT THE GOOD TRAVEL GUIDE?
During the COVID19 crisis, we are offering the internships and volunteer work online to those interested from all over the world!
AM I ELIGIBLE FOR AN INTERNSHIP?
Advanced bachelor (3rd and 4th year) and Master’s students can apply for an internship or traineeship in the field of tourism and destination sustainability. Professionals and sustainable travel enthusiasts are warmly welcomed to volunteer with us.
WHAT ARE THE LANGUAGE REQUIREMENTS?
A good communication skills in English are required. However, a working knowledge of any other language is desirable and will be considered an asset.
WHAT IS THE DURATION OF THE INTERNSHIP?
Interns are expected to work 20-36 hours per week for a period between three and six months (excluding thesis writing). After the completion of the internship, you are very welcome to involve longer in the project as a trainee or volunteer.
ARE THE INTERNSHIP POSITIONS PAID?
Your work with Good Travel Guide will be on a voluntary basis.
WHEN IS THE DEADLINE OF THE APPLICATION?
There is no deadline for applications. You can start any time of the year!
WHAT KIND OF WORK CAN I DO?
- Conducting desk research on responsible tourism, environmental and social sustainability.
- Creating a well-readable texts to display on country web pages.
- Best feasible for an intern or volunteer to write about their own country or neighbouring countries.
- Evaluate destination sustainability in terms of indicators and data.
- Help develop new indicators, indexes and infographics, for destination managers and for travellers.
- Assist in the development of a format for destination assessment reports.
- Help strengthen the responsible travel offer (businesses, products, services, tourism and leisure activities) in selected countries and destinations.
- Become involved in our responsible tourism certifications of businesses (Good Travel Seal and Virus-Aware Seal).
- Help promote the responsible travel offer of our destinations to tour operators, travel agents and consumers, through the Good Travel Guide website and social media.
- Contribute for the Good Travel Blog by writing on subjects that promotes responsible travel behaviour.
- The blog is aimed for travellers to inspire them to travel in a more sustainable and responsible way, for the benefit of local communities and preferably without flying large distances.
- The blog will be written in English.
- Conduct research based on your experience as a ‘responsible traveller’ on the following subjects (among others):
- General tips for different types of travellers: staycationer / camper & caravaner / car user / city breaker / city shopper / package tourist / ferry & island hopper / overland safari tracker / Inter-railer
- Room and apartment sharing platforms: Are Airbnb actually responsible, or not at all?
- Hotel booking platforms: how to best support the local hotels?
- How do airlines protect you against COVID19?
- Human rights: what will be your experience when visiting countries with human rights issues? What can you do, what are the risks and who will benefit of your visit?
- Heritage loss and environmental crisis: As a responsible traveller, would you visit places that are devastated for tourism or other financial greed? Or would you rather feel in harmony with nature, culture and tradition?
- Are coastal places and islands safe against rising sea levels?
- How does the deterioration of natural protective belts (such as mangrove belts or sand dune barriers) factor in the sea level rising?
- Holiday makers like it hot; but when will it be really too hot and where and when can we expect that?
- How extensive is our Air-co usage impacting the climate crisis?
- Can cruise holidays be safe and sustainable?